So that happened...

a photo a day keeps the blues at bay

Thursday, November 04, 2004

Civil Disobedience

New York City, East Village, Summer 1996: Mayor Guiliani evicts 13th Street Squatters








The past election got me thinking about the various ways we express our feelings about our government. (On one hand an orderly election, defeat graciously conceded, victory accepted. And on the other hand... )
I lived in the building I took those pictures from for 8 years. I was not a squatter, yet I was treated as if I was a vagrant by the occupying police force and dragged out from the apartment where I paid rent. Luckily I grabbed my camera.

Another article from the squatter perspective: Squat the world.

Labels: , , , ,




4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fascinating. Reminds me of the Apartheid years in South Africa.
Charles Bryant
http://charlesbryant.my-expressions.com

5:44 AM  
Blogger phoenix said...

I don't think it was ever as scary as apartheid. More of a marginalized minority of urban rage whose voice was barely heard outside of the neighborhood and New York Grassroots politics. Now it's a quaint and edgy footnote to the gentrification of the East Village.

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very vivid and breathtaking montage. Great work.

anne
http://www.wideangle.ca

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These definitely make a statement. They're what caught my eye when I first came across your blog a little while ago.

Gives new meaning to the idea of "street photography" so popular in your city. The documentary quality is what really makes them shine.

Glad you got your camera. Glad you're still shooting.

MB

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




  • Jen Profile
  • Before the election
  • Halloween extra 3
  • Halloween extra 2
  • Halloween extra 1
  • pharoah
  • IceCream
  • More from Greece 2
  • More from Greece
  • Smoking Kills
  • SquaredCircle
  • Photo Friday
  • i-gizmo
  • SpunWithTears









  • Please Subscribe Blogroll Me!